At Toner Avenue, we want every child to get the best possible start. Our School Council worked with the School Meals Service and, along with the children in their classes, decided that they would promote healthy lunches.
The children’s agreed definition of a healthy lunch includes:
- at least one portion of fruit, salad or vegetables (but preferably two or three portions)
- a starchy food e.g. bread, rice, pasta
- protein e.g. fish, meat or a non-dairy protein e.g. lentils
- a dairy product (e.g. cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais etc)
- a healthy drink (water, fruit juice, milk, smoothies etc).
Children also agreed that packed lunches could include ONE of the ‘treats’ below:
- a cake or biscuit (‘treat size’ rather than a standard size bar – please note, sweets are not to be sent into school)
- a packet of crisps (unsalted, baked varieties are now widely available)
- meat products such as sausage rolls, individual pies, cocktail sausages etc (just once per week is recommended and age-appropriate portion sizes)
There are some great ideas for keeping your child’s healthy packed lunch interesting and varied. Click HERE to find out more!
You can also find out about ‘sugar swaps’ by visiting: https://www.nhs.uk/change4life-beta/campaigns/sugar-smart/home